During this step which becomes longer and longer in the life of a woman, adopt safe habits to cover a vital importance.
Menopause refers to the definitive end of the ovaries function. The diagnosis is retrospective: menopause occurs one year after the last period. Although the number is very variable, most women will experience disturbing symptoms (hot flashes, irritation, drying, palpitations, insomnia, pain during sexual intercourse, etc.), generate by a hormonal deficit after the stoppage of the ovaries functioning. The consequence at the bone level (osteoporosis) is asymptomatic and pre-disposes the apparition of fractures.
Treatment of menopause symptoms:
If the symptoms are important and there are no complications, a substitution hormonal treatment (THS) replaces the hormonal functions of the ovary. In case we don’t want to take hormones or if they are not recommended, the alternative to THS consists of taking phyto-oestrogens (isoflavine), natural components that we can find in certain foods. Soya and vegetables are the richest in isoflavine.
Osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment
The loss of mineral density (decalcification) of bones is called osteoporosis. This (bone fragility) increases the risk of fractures.
The Densitometry (DEXA) is the most reliable process to measure osteopenia and osteoporosis. The treatment depends on individual cases, but will include:
- Non pharmacological measures: a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, physical exercises, quitting tobacco.
- Pharmacological measures: THS, anti-absorber medicines (biophosphate, raloxifene, calcitonine, denosumab), and bone formation medicines (strontium salt, etc.).
10 tips for the woman to preserve a good quality of life during peri-menopause and post-menopause (Spanish Association for the Study of Menopause):
- Observe a balanced diet, rich in calcium, and avoid being overweight and obesity.
- Follow a daily moderate physical activity.
- Take in 10 minutes of sun per day to obtain an appropriate level of vitamin D.
- Quit toxic habits such as tobacco.
- Evaluate the possible cardiovascular risks and eliminate the risk factors.
- Evaluate the possible breast cancer risks and get an early diagnosis by performing a mammography.
- Evaluate the possible osteoporosis risks. Rely on the bone densitometry to diagnose its apparition.
- Live with vitality and optimism during menopause.
- Maintain a satisfactory sexual activity.
- Take care of the quality of your life for your well-being during menopause.