Hyperprolactinemia is easy to diagnose and its treatment, in most cases, solves the reproduction problem.
It is an excessive secretion of Prolactin hormones (pituitary hormones in charge of producing milk). It provokes an anovulation by inhibiting at the level of the gonadotropic axis hypothalamus.
Following are the causes:
- Benign tumors in the pituitary gland (Prolactin).
- Thyroid gland problems.
- Idiopathic (we don’t know the cause).
- Addicted to medicines: certain tranquillizers, medicine for arterial tension or nausea.
- Oral contraception and narcotics (cannabis).
- Associated to a Polycystic ovary syndrome.
The blood analysis diagnostic shows an increase in Prolactin. A cerebral magnetic resonance may be required to remove all Prolactin risks.
The general sterility treatment includes going through Prolactin inhibitors (Cabergoline, Bromocriptine, etc.). Certain rare cases require a surgical intervention (macroprolactinoma, etc.).